The macula (part of the eye controlling central vision) breaks down, blood vessels can grow and cause leakage in the macula.
What are the Symptoms
- Loss of central vision
- Distorted lines and edges
What are the Risk Factors?
- Family history
- High blood pressure
What is the Treatment?
- Nutritional supplements (vitamins, minerals) may slow progression
- Laser therapy to seal leaking blood vessels
- Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) uses injected medicine activated by laser to destroy abnormal blood vessels without damaging the retina
- Anti-VEGF medicine is injected into the eye to block the signal that causes abnormal blood vessel growth